Pages

Friday 15 July 2011

OK, so I have a Blog, now what?

Hi, I'm Jo-ann.

I love reading other people's blogs so I thought it was about time I returned the favor.

Who am I?
I'm a mother (of three almost grown up children - two are technically adults).
I'm a mathematician (I have the degree to prove it). Actually my day job is teaching statistics to often reluctant first year University students. As some light relief I teach scientific writing and communication. So I apologize in advance it I write like I'm writing scientific papers. This is me with my work hat on.



I'm a martial artist. I have an almost black belt in Tae kwon do (the martial art version - not Olympic style or sport Tae kwon do) and I instruct. All my family are ninjas. See my middle daughter's blog here .

But as you can see from the title, this blog is intended to be knitographical (a knit biography). So obviously, I knit. My mother taught me to knit. I knitted my first bad jumper when I was about 12 (luckily there is no photographic evidence of this - it was the early 80's) , my first sock when I was about 15 (note it was only one sock, that's a post for another day) and then I discovered toys. I have knitted hundreds over the years, not to mention articles of clothing. Sometimes, I work from patterns, sometimes I design my own. So hence the blog, a place to post the photos, give links to the patterns where they are still available and to reminisce on my life in random knitted things.

Here is one random toy to whet your appetite. (It was the only photo I had to hand).

Party Penguin
Pattern by Alan Dart 
Pattern originally published in the English Womens Weekly Magazine
Party Penguin lives to randomly gatecrash cool parties, make a fool of himself and then  pass out in strange places

The knitting behind the title on this blog is also my own work. This is a closeup of the back of a knitted cardigan. The pattern was inspired by the work of Kaffe Fasset more specifically his book Glorious Knitting (I'll expand on the inspiration and construction of this cardigan in a future post). The wool is a mix of various 5 and 8 ply pure cotton yarns.

Jo-ann

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love you to say Hi. It's so much fun hearing from my cyber friends.